Surry’s White tied for lead in national finals
Surry Community College’s Chandler White was tied atop the leaderboard after the first round Tuesday of the NJCAA Division II National Championship in Scottsboro, Ala.
A sophomore, White birdied five holes and eagled another Tuesday to finish with a six-under-par score of 66. Out of 119 golfers, his big round put him in a five-way tie for first place with Phillip Hickam of Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, Nate Chadd of Seminole State, Connor Klein of South Mountain Community College, and Seth Sanders of Darton St. College of Georgia.
After birdies on holes two and five, White suffered a setback with a bogey on hole six. He made up for it with an eagle on the par-5 hole 15, and also birdied holes 10, 12 and 17.
“I’m kind of excited about my guy. Chandler had a really good first day,” Surry golf coach Tom Pendergraft said. “He had a bogey on six, which kind of put a damper on a great round, but I was pleased. He is putting extremely well and getting on the green in regulation. If you are doing those two things, the birds are going fall.”
Action will continue over the next three days in Alabama until the conclusion Friday. White should stay up around the top of the leaderboard if he continues to play like he did Tuesday.
“It was a great round,” Pendergraft said. “There is a lot more action to go, but I was really tickled and I hope he can maintain his score.”
- Surry student-athletes excel in the classroom
- Surry places 24 on All-Academic team
- Surry hires Johnson as assistant volleyball coach
- Surry Hosting 2020 Volleyball Camp - Cancelled
- Surry places nine on All-Academic team
- Surry hosting first baseball clinic in five years on March 14, 2020 - Event Cancelled
- Surry FCA spreads holiday cheer to Northern Regional Hospital residents
- Surry hires Gilley as new volleyball coach